We at Merloni commit to honour the Earth

WWF - Earth Hour

 

Earth Hour, a World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) initiative, started in Sydney, Australia, in 2007 when 2.2 million households turned off their lights for one hour to make a stand against climate change. Today, Earth Hour is so much more than simply switching off lights for an hour once a year. It’s a growing international movement of citizen-driven action for the environment.

The impetus of Earth Hour is to turn awareness into action beyond the hour. This year’s campaign culminates on Saturday, 29 March 2014 at 8.30pm when South Africa joins others around the world – individuals and organisations – in turning off the lights for an hour as an act of symbolic unity. It is a time to reflect on, renew and celebrate your commitments to protecting our planet beyond the hour.

We at Merloni commit to honour the Earth by thinking about the choices we make around our food, water and energy use, and our impact on the environment. The power of choice is in our hands through our everyday commitments and consumer preferences.

Create your promise to honour the Earth, show your commitment to the planet, help us spread the word and celebrate in the true spirit of Earth Hour on Saturday 29 March 2014, 8.30pm. Use your power through your everyday commitments and consumer selection. Talk, tweet, share and take action for our Earth. #EarthHourZA

This Oscar Pistorius ad is the ‘most complained about ad of all time’

London – The UK’s Advertising Standards Authority is standing by their decision to pull a controversial ad featuring Oscar Pistorius, Huffington Post reported.
According to the ASA  the ad has received a record breaking amount of complaints making it “the most complained about ad of all time.”
The ad, by online betting site Paddypower, features Oscar Pistorius as an Academy Award-statuette with the words; “It’s Oscar time. Money back if he walks”.
Not only does the ad make fun of Oscar’s disability but it also jokes about a murder case.
Although they have received an unprecedented amount of complaints, Paddypower defended the ad saying it is only a reflection of public interest.

The controversial ad: 

Oscar

 

Zuma calls on youth to help move SA forward

3 March 2014

his-excellency-the-president-of-the-republic-of-south-africa-mr-jacob-g-zumaPresident Jacob Zuma has called on young South Africans to dream big and to help the country move towards meaningful economic emancipation, saying that youth development and empowerment was “critical to the success of our democracy”.

“You must dream about a prosperous South Africa; we dreamt about freedom and it happened,” Zuma said in his address to the Presidential Youth Indaba on Jobs and Skills in Boksburg, east of Johannesburg on Sunday.

Zuma said the government was investing heavily in education and skills development, which were key to enabling young peopleto run the country’s economy.

“To date over 8 000 youth have been assisted to rewrite their matric,” he said. “The results in 2013 were an impressive 78% pass rate.

“At the level of higher education, 12% of our population now hold a postgraduate qualification, up from 7% in 1996. Student enrolments at colleges have increased by 90%. There are increases in enrolments at universities and universities of technology as well.

Zuma said South Africa had to build an inclusive economy that created jobs, but importantly also one that reflected the demographics of the country. He said the ownership, control and management of the economy had to be changed, working with business, labour and the community sector.

While ownership of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange had changed only slightly since 1994, Zuma welcomed the fact that over R600-billion in black economic empowerment transactions had been recorded since 1995, while the percentage of black people and women in senior management had increased from less than 10% in the 1990s to over 40% today.

National Development Plan

Zuma asked the young conference delegates to start thinking about their contribution to growing an inclusive economy and to moving the country forward, and to familiarise themselves with the government’s long-term strategy for job creation and poverty reduction, the National Development Plan (NDP),

“Within the NDP are some instruments that we want you to know and understand very well as young people,” he said.

The President noted that the youth had pointed out issues of concern, such as work experience and finding the first funding to become an entrepreneur, adding that he was pleased that the heads of funding agencies like the Small Enterprise Finance Agency (Sefa) were in attendance at the Indaba.

In the past year, the Industrial Development Cooperation (IDC) and Sefa had approved funding of more than R160-million for young entrepreneurs.

Zuma also noted that the government’s Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) had created 3.7-million work opportunities between April 2009 and September 2013, while 277 out of the country’s 278 municipalities had signed protocol agreements committing them to achieving their EPWP targets.

The EPWP targets women and the youth, with 54% women and 50% youth making up the participants in the programme.

Source: SAnews.gov.za

Read more: http://www.southafrica.info/news/youth-indaba-030314.htm#.Uxiv4tzTw8M#ixzz2vCkeDI3t

Zuma calls on youth to help move SA forward

3 March 2014

his-excellency-the-president-of-the-republic-of-south-africa-mr-jacob-g-zumaPresident Jacob Zuma has called on young South Africans to dream big and to help the country move towards meaningful economic emancipation, saying that youth development and empowerment was “critical to the success of our democracy”.

“You must dream about a prosperous South Africa; we dreamt about freedom and it happened,” Zuma said in his address to the Presidential Youth Indaba on Jobs and Skills in Boksburg, east of Johannesburg on Sunday.

Zuma said the government was investing heavily in education and skills development, which were key to enabling young peopleto run the country’s economy.

“To date over 8 000 youth have been assisted to rewrite their matric,” he said. “The results in 2013 were an impressive 78% pass rate.

“At the level of higher education, 12% of our population now hold a postgraduate qualification, up from 7% in 1996. Student enrolments at colleges have increased by 90%. There are increases in enrolments at universities and universities of technology as well.

Zuma said South Africa had to build an inclusive economy that created jobs, but importantly also one that reflected the demographics of the country. He said the ownership, control and management of the economy had to be changed, working with business, labour and the community sector.

While ownership of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange had changed only slightly since 1994, Zuma welcomed the fact that over R600-billion in black economic empowerment transactions had been recorded since 1995, while the percentage of black people and women in senior management had increased from less than 10% in the 1990s to over 40% today.

National Development Plan

Zuma asked the young conference delegates to start thinking about their contribution to growing an inclusive economy and to moving the country forward, and to familiarise themselves with the government’s long-term strategy for job creation and poverty reduction, the National Development Plan (NDP),

“Within the NDP are some instruments that we want you to know and understand very well as young people,” he said.

The President noted that the youth had pointed out issues of concern, such as work experience and finding the first funding to become an entrepreneur, adding that he was pleased that the heads of funding agencies like the Small Enterprise Finance Agency (Sefa) were in attendance at the Indaba.

In the past year, the Industrial Development Cooperation (IDC) and Sefa had approved funding of more than R160-million for young entrepreneurs.

Zuma also noted that the government’s Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) had created 3.7-million work opportunities between April 2009 and September 2013, while 277 out of the country’s 278 municipalities had signed protocol agreements committing them to achieving their EPWP targets.

The EPWP targets women and the youth, with 54% women and 50% youth making up the participants in the programme.

Source: SAnews.gov.za

Read more: http://www.southafrica.info/news/youth-indaba-030314.htm#.Uxiv4tzTw8M#ixzz2vCkeDI3t

R1.3bn for stalled Western Cape broadband project

File: The Western Cape says it is ready to embark on a massive broadband project. Picture: AFP PHOTO

File: The Western Cape says it is ready to embark on a massive broadband project. Picture: AFP PHOTO

CAPE TOWN – It’s a project that has been in the pipelines for many years, but now the Western Cape Province says it is finally back on track to deliver on its 2011 promise to bring broadband to communities across the province.

Last month during her State of the Province Address, Western Cape Premier Helen Zille claimed the nationally-controlled South African State Information Technology Agency (SITA) was the reason for the massive delay to the project.

Zille said that in 2012 when the province put the project out to tender they were told they were in contravention of the SITA Act, and they were required to cancel the procurement process and requested SITA to manage the tender for a broadband network service.

However, MEC for Finance, Economic Development and Tourism in the province Alan Winde on Wednesday announced that through a joint tender process with SITA that the project was “back on track” and that the “SITA issue had been sorted”.

Winde believed the roll-out of the broadband infrastructure process would begin again by the end of the month and admitted that the project had been set back by over three months due to the delays.

In his 2014 budget speech, Winde said that the provincial treasury had set aside R1.3-billion over the next three years to achieve their broadband goals.

He claimed “residents of Blanco in George will be able to connect to the internet while waiting for the bus (and) by September, the learners at Delft and Atlantis will receive free WiFi”.

He said the project planned to deliver internet services to local libraries and e-knowledge I-CAN centres, set up a second Bandwidth Barn in Khayelitsha and roll out the pilot wireless mesh project in Saldanha Bay.

The department also hoped to achieve 100 percent connectivity to its government buildings by December 2015.
-eNCA